Follow me on Twiter!

Sunday, June 23, 2013

That's No Way to Sightsee!

Ladies and gents you're in for a treat, I have so many pictures to share with you from this week but as you know pictures come at the end!

My second week in D.C. has once again been filled with memories that I can hopefully remember for years to come, but then again what's this blog for right. My schedule is pretty much: I intern by day and take classes by night; except for Fridays, no work just class. This is my first time experiencing a real 9-5 and I can tell you: It's really what you make of it and based your profession. One would say sitting in front of a computer all day is no fun, even boring; but when that's a requirement and detrimental for research with your job, it's really not all that bad.

This older woman who works at the station and probably goes through each and every "insert bleep here" word in a day is that personality added to your workspace that makes you say, "I love working here". Does her use of profanity make me cringe? Not at all, especially when you use it yourself. She's a pro at using at least one in every sentence. Not only does she give me compliments and good mornings, but I got a "What's that broad's name? Tayla?" I would be lying if I said I even got slightly offended, if anything I responded with, " It's Kayla." Then I got the run-down that where's she's from "broad" in her book isn't bad, she uses it for everything. To each it's own. Some people may not understand why it didn't bother me but I just didn't care to get my panties in a bunch. She's a cute older woman who has much higher ranking in office than I and I would not work in an environment where I felt condescended nor disrespected.

I had my first Man On the Street assignment Tuesday and man was it nerve wrecking. First time using the portable recording equipment for interviews and first time actually having to tell someone "it'll only take a minute of your time." Thank God I've never been rude when I was on the receiving end, cause now I'm in their shoes. My assignment was to ask people to describe D.C.'s heat that day in one word. I actually got a ratchet and trifling (which didn't make it one air), muggy, delectable, and lovely are just a few. But if you had to ask me--it felt like home. I mean I can compare a hot D.C. day to a Savannah day and wish I could just jump in a pool until I look like a California raisin. Some people were very receptive, some weren't but it didn't matter--I was a Woman On the Street. I decided to try my first food truck once me and the other intern was finished. The choice: a taco truck. I saw shrimp tacos and thought hmmm, I like shrimp tacos, but I was clouded by the idea they'll be similar to Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Athens (Oh how I love those tacos). After waiting for ten minutes (in the heat) this lady comes back and makes a fairly friendly complaint on how naked the tacos were and how the shrimps are in comparison to fruit loops in size. I'm thinking she's probably overreacting with the frosted cereal comment but she was not. I mean these were the flimsiest little shrimps I EVER seen, not even worthy enough to be called shrimps--shrimp are my favorite food. The shrimps could sit on a dime, no lie. Paid for it so I ate it, lesson learned.

Had my first low of my time here in DC--my midterm in my Ethics course. I didn't even get to finish. A midterm and the next week a final examination. I just think it's dumb to have a month of school with only three full weeks and have a midterm and final. By time you take the midterm the final is right around the corner. Yea it sucked to know you didn't do well on something automatically but that sucky feeling is so bad you never want to feel it again. I could have let that affected my week, but what would get done? Time won't go back. However, I do have a professor that is flexible and is one of those professors that actually cares and sees the potential in students. So cross your fingers for me. But there's redemption in the final.

I randomly had a I want a Jeepers Creepers 3 moment this week. I love those movies and how all the black people survived in Jeepers Creepers 2, only horror film I can think of where all the black people survived.

Thursday I was assigned to Mayor Vince Gray of the District of Columbia press release for his next steps on education reform in the district. I went with an experienced reporter and was her personal assistant/photographer for the day. First time ever seeing cheerleader protestors, I honestly thought they were apart of the mayor's speech. "Shame on Mayor Grace, don't take publics schools away!", chanted the young protestors. See Mayor Grace is planning to combine the District of Columbia Public School System with it's charters school. The restraint it takes for politicians, presidents, or anyone to give a speech whether for three minutes or 25 and speak through hecklers, boos, disrespect, lobbyists is quite amazing. I don't think I could do it. As the protestors shouted Grace raised his voice but to what extent could I still focus on concentrating. It was definitely an eye-opener in the world of journalism. Not only did I clap for the protesting cheerleading (big no-no, reporters/journalists are objective) but I lost track in where the mayor was in his speech. I did takes tons of pic (God I need a camera, an iPhone can only do so much). I lucked up with that assignment, I got to meet the Chancellor of the D.C. Public Schools, Kaya Henderson, President of Washington Teachers Union, Nathan Saunders (Savannah State University alumnus), and D.C. councilmember, David Catania. All three of prominence in the D.C. region and I got to shake their hand. Councilmember Catania complimented my blazer three times! A blazer I got for a buck at Plato's Closet back home (get compliments on that blazer every time I wear it actually), even the reporter I was with couldn't believe how many powerful D.C. people I got to met.

On the way there actually the reporter shared some knowledge with me that I honestly didn't think off: She said upfront that broadcast journalism is hard and a lot of interns don't make it. Its relentless and I told her I believe the journalism students, in my generation, we're blinded by dream jobs we read about, see on TV and here on the radio. It's only honestly how I got sucked in. She revealed to me how she started off in television and much of the interns she started out with dropped out because they want a social life. That honestly scared me. To hear that the platform I hopefully want to work on one day can chew me up and spit me out alive. Yes times have changed since she was an undergraduate but not by much. You're not going to be shipped off to some big city where you'll have a daytime or evening show and become a household name for news overnight. Small cities are where you need to start and how interning back home where you'll familiar with the city and people are so much more convenient is what she revealed. In television you'll work crazy hours, practically everyday and being tossed in a big unfamiliar city and trying to work and maintain a personal life, you can't do both. But home you'll have support (friends/family), you'll already have connections and won't be tossed in the middle of nowhere. Overall her message was balanced. Now I don't have to start in Savannah but I do have to realize I probably won't start in New York or California either, but I'll get there. What I want to say as well is: If you haven't tried the opportunities and doorways in your hometown, how can you assume you'll be better or know what to do somewhere else?

D.C. is full of life even though I saw only one gas station today, bad weaves are leading to good, and after I ride the metro I no longer smell my perfume. But still I love this place. There is always something to do here: museums, restaurants, parks, tours, events, just so much to do in Obama's hood. Recently I went to Jazz in the Garden (National Gallery) and I never wanted a pitcher of sangria so bad in my life: 1) I was hot. 2) I'm 21. 3) Everyone else had one, wanted one too. Every place you can think of to put a blanket or chair was occupied with garden-goers. It was like a class reunion, but in the thousands and no yearbooks. PERFECT place for coworkers to let loose after the end of a work week, friends to discuss their week, a couple to enjoy each other's company or a family outing. I wasn't paying attention to the jazz much, don't get me wrong love me some jazz but I'm a people watcher so I was watching people. A beautiful moment: this man proposing to his girlfriend in front of the crowd, I can only assume the unison of "aaaawww" came from the women attendees (me included, so cute).

First pitch ever got approved by my supervisor this week, pretty exciting. I'm not going to reveal it because I rather just make it a surprise so once it's published on air, I will link it ASAP. Got an interview for 1/2 the portion of the Door to Door segment I will be producing on the show, so I'm happy to get started with that next week. I can only assume after this week, the days will go by even faster and it'll be mid July before I know it.

I got to visit the Thomas Jefferson Library of Congress today where me and Taryn, me and her love touring the city, got reader cards. I will be back to use it in the genealogy room, maybe I can trace my roots.

Ah before I forget I had a soft shell crab sandwich for the first time today at the restaurant in Eastern Market. The bread was delicious, the coleslaw ( one of many foods on my What I Don't Eat list), tomatoes (I despise tomatoes), and deep fried crab (deep + fried just sound so artery clogging) ended up with a 9 out 10 (thank the coleslaw and tomatoes for that). See that sandwich made someone as picky as me a believer. Each and every layer of that sandwich was fresh. The sweet hint of the coleslaw balanced out the ocean of the crab. I'm telling you even if you have foods you won't eat, put that aside and dine in fine cuisine! Oh and the sweet tea..........YEEESSSS to a place up north that 1) sells sweet tea & 2) had tea that was sweet. Thank you!

Took me a hour and a half to write my week! Please enjoy the photos!
 The food trunk I where I got those JUMBO shrimp tacos.
I got to go to a lecture where Kentucky Senator Rand Paul spoke.
Some chicken place around the corner from my job with good fried plantains.
Mayor Grace (center) speaking with attendees at his press release.
 Nathan Saunders
Councilmember David Catania
The BLAZER!!

 A sculpture at The National Gallery of Art, Jazz in the Garden.
That's just a view from across the fountain, doesn't do it justice.
National Press Building where TFAS held Journalism Awards ceremony.
On way to Eastern Flea Market.
 Bakery in Eastern Market
 Eastern Market
 African street drummers.
 Soft shell crab sandwich. YUM
After!

 Flea Market where I brought some cute $5 shades.
 First gas station seen since I've been in D.C.
Me in front of the Capitol building. Beautiful.

 $5 shades.
 Liddle ole me in front of the Supreme Court Justice (which was under renovation, that's a backdrop).
 Side show of the Library of Congress.
 Library of Congress front shot.
 Gorgeous mosaic ceilings.





No comments:

Post a Comment