Follow me on Twiter!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"I have arrived honey"............12 Hours Later

*Even though this will be posted on June 12, I am writing for June 10 (been busy since I have arrived).

Five days later from the original start date (June 5), I have finally made my arrival in this nation's capital. A very long 12 hour journey on a bus--that I will never do again, has placed me safely in Washington, DC.

The ride up here started off very lonely, I found myself wiping away tears and thinking how in the hell am I on my way to DC right after a funeral--a very emotional one at that. I purposely picked to leave at night because I figured I could sleep the way there and by morning I will be in DC. Didn't quite happen that way. First was Fayetteville, NC, about 4 hours away from Savannah, this was a one hour rest stop. Next, Richmond, VA, another 4 hours from Fayetteville, but this time a one and a half rest stop. Three hours later I came to my final destination, DC around 9 am.

Once I got to DC I was already updated on the weather with my roommate letting me know it was raining. Raining? I had no umbrella and had 61lbs of luggage on me.

Arriving at the Union Station my first thought was how nice the bus station looked. I mean in my opinion it could almost be compared to the Hilton Head-SAV airport from back home. Definitely does not compare to the bus station back home, not even after renovations are done. So I tuck my blanket & pillow on my luggage and follow the signs leading to taxi services.

The line to get a taxi was ridiculous, it reminded me of this little downtown spot back home called Taco Abajo except the people in line actually had somewhere to be...........and were in business attire........looked middle age.........and didn't have on the latest Jordans or Forever21. I hate lines, so I decided to avoid the 'taxi line' and hop in a incoming taxi doing a drop off.

Finally found a cab but I could not understand the driver. "Am I 18?", is what I honestly thought the driver was saying buuuuuuut he was really saying "Where are you going?" I give him 616 23rd St. NW. He actually tells me "hurry up", so slightly frantic and not wanting to look like a 'tourist' I literally threw my luggage in the trunk. The traffic in DC is pretty major, nothing like I complain about at home, however, a great time to sight see. The drive gave me a moment to see from a rain-dripped window the beauty of the place I will call home for the next two months. Even on a ugly day, there's beauty in the rain.

I always thought that taxi rides pay meters went a mile a second and before you made it down the street you were already at $5. Well I was quite surprise when my total came out to $13.18--my first DC purchase ^__^. Unfortunately I realized I gave him the wrong address and should have given him the address of the housing office. Oh but it gets better. After putting in the "correct address" to Philip Amsterdam Hall in my phone, I see it's only .3 miles, I'm like no biggie so me and my luggage head towards 19th Street. By this time it started o rain and me with no umbrella, two suitcases, not even a jacket, and a head scarf on get to this "correct address" and it's not the right address I was given. Frustrated was not even the word. By then I wanted to turn around head south and tell the city of DC where to go. But I knew getting upset was not got stop the rain nor would everything magically open up a teleportation portal. So I sucked it up looked up the correct address and made my way to H Street.

Two hours later after the Union Station, after the taxi, after the wrong directions, after the rain; I finally was in my dorm and in much need of sleep. Once I got my sleeping beauty time in I decided to venture out to Target. I'm such a southern girl. I pretty much let it be known Walmarts, Kroger and Piggly Wigglys are my thing and where is the nearest place similar to those three. Target? Okay lets go to Target. Lets ride the Metro.

I still had my SmartTrip card from visiting a high school friend from last year but unlike last year I had someone with me who knew where they were going. And that's something I can see the difference from southern to northern. If you hear someone say people from the north move at a quicker pace from people in the south, believe them. Everyone looked as if they had someone where to go, the pep in their step was already there. So if you don't want to get caught looking like a freshman visitor, look like you have somewhere to be. It took me asking every Metro worker, a few random people, and paying an uneccessary fare to finally make it to Target.

Is it a bad thing I felt at home at Target? I mean even back at home I don't go shopping there but I guess seeing something familiar made me feel at ease.

Once I got back to my room  I was able to meet my three other roommates and yea each one of us are from a different walk of life. Hanna, she's from Japan but lives in Canada. Mercy, she's from Ghana but has been living in Michigan for the past three years. Courtney who lives in surburbia Texas. Then there's me, born and raised in Georgia.

My first day in DC was long and all I did was take two hours to get to my dorm, take a nap, face the Metro and go to Target, but all that was tiring and really exhausting. I realized just how nervous yet excited I was to take on DC alone and make my time here the best time. Yea just looking at the summer schedule makes me want to cringe but it's life. Certain things you sign up for and when you do your obligation is the most important thing to honor, not so much for you will not disappoint others but more importantly not disappointing yourself.

Enjoy a couple of photos from day 1!
Jusqu' a la prochaine fois

Passed by the Archives of the USA on Constitution Avenue
 
Is that a George Washington bust? I think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment