Follow me on Twiter!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Hello Intern

*I am doing this post for June 12 even though it has been posted June 14

My first day officially starting the program was today (Tuesday) and I was pretty anxious and nervous on what all I would be doing. I never could say I interned, was an intern or am interning until today. Today I can add intern to my resume, that's nice.

WAMU is one transfer and roughly nine stops away from George Washington University (GWU), so I don't encounter that much people-traffic once I get further down the red line to Tenleytown (that's where WAMU is located). I arrived about 30 minutes early, mainly because it was my first day and since I wasn't able to do a run-through when I first arrived I wanted have enough of a window in case I got lost. Lost? Not even close, I arrived so early I opted for a quick breakfast at Panera Bread. The station is just right around the corner from metro, so I don't have to walk far at all.

I was nervous on meeting the manager producer for the first time, but who wouldn't be nervous on meeting their boss. We had been keeping in touch since my interview in April and seemed really excited to me as much as I was for her. First impressions are everything right? My first day I wanted to look like I meant business but wanted to give off that ole southern charm that not all everyone can say they have. Southerners are unique people.

The station is very laidback in their wear, but even though people do wear jeans, I won't be. I figured I even though the dress code is business casual and I did bring jeans, I also spent money on a good amount of business clothes. And I want to show that I can still be fashionable in and casual in my outfits. That reminds me, I came to DC with five FIVE pairs of shoes. Anyone who knows me (or if you don't) five pairs of shoes isn't even a fourth of my closet, but I had so much trouble packing so I sacrificed shoes. However, I'm going to make it work and hey that gives me an excuse to buy shoes up here right.

There's one other intern there, a graduate student, she seems pretty much into her work. We've had small conversations since I've been there but she's been there for a month already so she already has her work mentality.

The station has it's order, but it you won't find boring cubicles here. No. You'll see people working on deadlines, headphones in place, and how much computers are best friends. You wouldn't understand how much technology means to this world, economy, society until you're placed in an environment that depends on it; in this generation and country--that's pretty much everyone and everywhere.

My first day was pretty cool six hour day but I would say the day didn't drag. I was given a tour, showed how interview recording equipment works, saw the different studios, and lastly the area where I will be working. No I don't have my own desk, more like a pick and choose of four computers, haha. Oh and I got my picture taken with a quick biography sent to everyone at the station as the new intern. Kayla is here people and I'm not going anywhere for the next two months.

With my first intern day done, next up was class. Once I got off at the Virginia AU-GMU station I got lost. Partially because I didn't look up how to get there before I got there and the person giving me directions.............wasn't the best. Besides the metro ride there being about 45 minutes so I did arrive to class not too late.

Class is looooooooooooooong. Three hours of literally lecture style with no PowerPoint. Before I even got to class I already tuned out, that's what being somewhere previously for six hours than doing a three hour class will do to you. I found myself almost acting like a child who couldn't sit still and badly needed some sort of entertainment.

Once class was over we had a guest lecture of journalists who have mastered the art of religion in the media with Mollie Hemingway, Kevin Eckstrom and Kim Lawton. All three had great advice because if you haven't notice religion stories really don't get much coverage. Instead of the media researching information to be accurate much of everything that  is covered on religion is through biases and very little. Religion in media is one of those topics that gets brushed under the rug because I feel people think it's a sticky topic.

After a 12 hour day I finally made my way back to GWU and tired, so so tired but I have a feeling that this is only the start and you got to start somewhere right. I have so much faith and relatives watching over me (my babies I call them), the doors are opening.

Enjoy a couple of photos from day 2!
Jusqu' a la prochaine fois

 Inside WAMU
 WAMU outside
 George Mason University - Founder's Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment