Follow me on Twiter!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mon semaine première

This will pretty much be a compilation from everyday this week, even though I've tried to update daily as much as possible. So let's hear about week one.

My first week alone made me appreciate my hometown a little more. To complain about Savannah traffic is like someone complaining about the winters in Miami. If you get my point, the traffic back home is nothing in comparison to cities such as DC, where just the streets are as confusing as their addresses. You may see a street sign that reads Constitution Ave and under it is 1200, which can translate to......on the 1200th block of Constitution Avenue blah blah. Back home I hear the word 'block' but I rarely use it, not shame to say I didn't understand what it meant either, but I have seen the light. 'Block' is very similar to how we say 'street', yes street is more broad and can mean anything but back home one would say "three streets over", "up the street" or "bout a street up" compared to up north; here every 'street' is replaced with 'block'.

You know I'm starting to really fall in love with this place and it's only week one. Now there are some things I can do without. Starters, I don't like the Metro. Yes, you read correctly. For one, I wouldn't say the metro is wallet-friendly that much. You can purchase a weekly unlimited for $36 but I mean calculate how much you're spending a week, a month, a year on Metro passes. Maybe this is just my "visitor" talking but honestly compared to gas it's not that off. But on the plus side if you have a car it's better on your miles, maintenance and finding parking here is madness, but these are just my opinions only.

Second, I would want to live and work in the midst of everything. I will possibly regret that because in a city that is in motion 24 hours when will one sleep, find quiet or get a little peace. But this city has so much inside it, you want to be at the center of everything.

DC is nothing like back home, there's so much in your reach one cannot complain how boring and slow it is. See back home there are things to do but you more so have to be creative in what there is to do versus DC. So to my generation, I strongly suggest going out and seeing what this country has to offer first before you want to go abroad; there are some fascinating places at home as well.

Even though I am paving my way and starting to lay a foundation for myself in the communications and journalism world in U.S. headquarters, I still drift off in sadness. Have you ever just had a moment where you think about someone and say "I can't believe they're dead." It's an amazing feeling and amazement does not have to be connected to just positive only. No, it can adhere to anything. It's amazing when you really want to talk to this person, it's amazing when it's a birthday, it's amazing when you wear their favorite color, and it's amazing when that person is not there anymore. The comfort of knowing someone will always be with you spiritually doesn't console forever, especially not in the early stages. I couldn't tell you what works for me.

Once I snap back into the moment I let my mourning and focus become one and have to understand it's all a part of reality. A reality you have to face at...the same damn time. On one hand I'm sad and the other I'm excited about the many opportunities that await me this summer.

There's no way I will go into the new school year without an incredible story that starts out "Omg while I was interning in DC......" This I promise. I have a good feeling that this summer will be unforgettable, mainly cause it started on a bad note, has to get better.

So far I got to see a friend from high school, that I missed dearly and got to enjoy what I like to call a Failed Friday. Shop at Chinatown, which is more like a whole bunch of Chinese restaurants and places with it's name translated in Chinese underneath, but still a cool place. Go down to the waterfront with a friend from UGA, treat ourselves at a semi-fancy seafood restaurant (the southern in us) and walk in a complete circle just to end up calling a cab (and getting ripped off). To ending my weekend in Sunday service and studying.


All the fails, money spent, time wasted, you know the things that make you go "ugh" are still memories. I for one will not draw more light to them but leave them in the past where they belong. I'm 21 and if I haven't made mistakes or had "spills" along the wait yet, I might want to get myself checked out.

I'm not going to end this on my typical French note but instead with a verse from one of my favorite Outkast songs.

"Don't let the days of your life pass by"

Do you need to know which side is mine?

These guys were really nice & fun even though it was Fail Friday lol
Just walking around Chinatown
 Où moi et Taryn ont mangé le diner.
C'était délicieux!
Heeeeeeeeeey.
Me et Taryn (so fuzzy yuck)
 Je te dis le waterfront est beau!


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Chocolate City! =)

    Hope your visit here is a memorable one. Don't have so much fun that you forget to blog about it.

    ReplyDelete